Friday, February 5, 2021

The problem is/was/will be no one wants to listen and/or do anything about it.

I recently ran into a post where someone commented: "The problem is/was/will be no one wants to listen and/or do anything about it."  The subject was the pandemic; however, I've encountered this a lot over the last few years; and decided I had to respond.  I had been looking for a common denominator to classify most people who bought into propagating false information.  And this is what I believe I've discovered:   When I run into a particular point of view: I like to divide it into two categories that follow this basic rule.  "There are two kinds of people; those who divide everything into two categories; and those who don't."  As a fundamental premise, I find it allows me to expand on the 2nd clause of this statement.  This was my response to them.


There are two kinds of people in the world, those who understand that the world is complex; and those that think no one wants to listen and/or do anything about it. I noticed a critical factor in the disinformation of conspiracy theories: most people spreading false information believe no one cares about anyone. Still, they, and a majority of those people, aren't even sure about themselves. 

In supporting the false claims by accepting like-minded experts, who are experts only in the eyes of those who only want to hear what they believe, they contradict themselves. Apparently, the only ones, they think, who care are those who hold the same view as they do; and so instead of doing the work of discovering on their own, they believe that like-minded one does care because they've found someone who is a little more like them. So, while they claim, or presume to claim, that no one listens or cares, they think that because they care about this or *that*, similar and like-minded people must also care. 

Unfortunately, reality shows that the people who care the most are the ones who are willing to listen to others; and do not get stuck in accepting even their own theories but are eager to look into other "non-like minded" ideas... and work their way toward the truth, especially when that non-like minded person proves they're an unreliable source. And that's the difference between people who care; and those who think no one listens or cares. 

So, like someone who cares, I've considered your claim that "No one wants to listen and/or do anything about it." I've left the concept of "it" pretty broad but also aligned with your talking about the pandemic and found it false, not just broadly but specifically regarding the pandemic. I'd like to add that I've cared enough to write this, and pointing out that "No one listens or cares" is false. I have also read the book "Code Breakers" which gives the history of the discoveries that led to the vaccine's development.  However, it points to a category or classification of the people who think that: " no one cares." However, I presume you must care; because you do seem to question, but I feel also feel that having that attitude of not caring causes you to tread very closely to those who heap to themselves teachers having itching ears, and I suggest instead that you turn to the truth, and discover it for yourself. But, I reject the concept that "no one" listens or "no one does anything about it." It is a very dangerous stance to claim as an absolute.

This kind of statement makes a wild claim of some absolute that gets the most ire and attention.  Most people know inherently that an absolute claim is false, yet it rankles them when someone else does it.  Clearly, no one believes an absolute to be accurate; unless it's a religious statement.  Even then, most people are open-minded to some degree, even about what they know with certainty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment